Saturday, July 03, 2004

What to Bring in a Backpack – for a Year

One might wonder what to pack - in a bag that you will be carrying - for a year. One also must take into consideration what one brings is what one carries. Thank goodness I started packing the Tuesday before the Saturday of which I left.



It took 7 revisions in 4 different US states. After each revision, I happened to be with friends who were able to return my stuff to South Range. When I was no longer with people who could assist in the return of my unneeded goods, I sent them in the mail back to Michigan. The rest I threw out. Anything else extra that I come across, I can give away. Here's what I started with...and finally ended with:

STARTED WITH / ENDED WITH

2 - pairs of shorts / 1 - pair of shorts
4 - pairs of pants / 1 - pair of pants
6 - skirts / 1 - skirt
4 - short sleeve t-shirts / 1 - short sleeve t-shirt
2 - long sleeve t-shirts / 1 - long sleeve t-shirt
7 - tank tops / 2 - tank tops
1 - swim suit / 0 - swim suits
1 - sweater / 0 - sweaters
1 - raincoat / 0 - raincoats
6 - pairs of socks / 2 - pairs of socks
7 - pairs of underwear / 4 - pairs of underwear
1 - small bath towel / 1 - travel towel
3 - books / 1 - book *
2 - maps / 1 - map *
1 - pair of boots / 1 - pair of boots
2 - pairs of sandals / 1 - pair of sandals
1 - sleeping bag / 0 - sleeping bag
1 - fleece blanket / 1 - thin wool blanket
1 - bed sheet / 1 - bed sheet

Miscellaneous: bathroom stuff, bug stuff, malaria pills, sun screen, first aide kit, etc.; English/Portuguese dictionary, journal, pen, candle, lighter, Spanish/English dictionary....

The weight of my 4500 cubic-inch backpack (including the heavy 6 ½ pounds that the backpack weighs)...all of my belongings came to 22 pounds.  My bag is so empty...it is pretty funny...I guess I have room to buy stuff if I want or need along the way...however, if I did a trip like this again, I would use a smaller bag.

* I took one book (Mexico and Central America) and one map (Mexico and Central America). My travel partner, Kiko, took one book (South America) and one map (South America).

<< Home
<< Previous
Next >>